Saturday, June 23, 2007

Sending your kids off to Sleep away camp..














Starting this week my kids are going to start summer camp, my oldest is going away for the first time to sleep away camp, I find my self being really anxious about it, I figured I'll sit down and write about it maybe it will help me calm my anxiety, I never really cared much about sleep away camp being that I didn't grow up with it, summer vacation consisted of 2 weeks day camp and the rest was going to school like the rest of the year, until I moved to the U.S I never heard of sleep away camp, the all idea was very new to me, I did try once to go to satmar girl's camp for one shabbes and wished there was a short cut to walk straight home.

I'm not used to sending my child away for a long period of time, and not being around to watch over them is making me really anxious.. I heard so many stories of abuse over the years and it scares the s**t out of me to send my child away from home, I know I can't keep my children locked up beacuse of my fears, I have to allow them to go out there and experince life on life terms but I find it really difficult.

Being someone that as experienced sexual abuse I have a big fear of something happening to my kids, Even when they go for weekends to there dad I have fears,
I have had numerous conversations with my children about sexual predators and thought them to be aware of it but still I feel that no matter what kids can easily be manipulated by sick individuals, then again If I want to live in peace I can't allow this thought to constantly control me or control my kids life's.

I know its unhealthy to be too protective, I need to tell my self that they will be Okay and that I did the best I can to educate them on the subject and if god forbid something should ever happen I hope that they feel comfortable enough to talk to me about it.

I would like to hear from other parents who are sending there kids off to sleep away camp, what are your thoughts and feelings on this subject.

Wishing you all a great summer..

2 Comments:

  • OMG - this is my first time on your blog, but I just read this post, and I am totally having the same problem - and my son only goes to daycamp! There have been a few days that I've just kept him home so I don't have to worry about something happening to him! I guess its irrational, but being a survivor of abuse myself, I totally understand where your coming from! Anyway - good luck with it! I'm sure your child is having a great time!

    By Blogger Tr8erGirl, at Monday, 16 July, 2007  

  • tr8:

    welcome & thank you for stopping by my blog, I feel that its important that we allow are kids to live life and experince it on life terms.

    even though we have our fears from our past experiences we can't keep our children locked up at home,

    I try really hard to not let my fears control my kids life's.

    so far it seems that my child is having an amazing time in camp, the first 3 letters said please come pick me up as fast as you can, but the 4th one it said I like it here I just need my gameboy and my disks ;-) I guess its a good sign..

    By Blogger Begreatfull, at Monday, 16 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home